House Bill 43 (2010)
It is an act relating to personal communication devices.
House Bill 43 proposes to create a new section of KRS Chapter 189 to define "personal communication device"; prohibit text messaging while operating a motor vehicle; provide for specific exclusions; amend KRS 189.990 to set penalties; provide for a probationary period ending January 1, 2011, during which courtesy warnings will be issued; set fine for violation at $20 to $100 for each offense after the probationary period; exclude court costs.
- Nov 4 - Filed to Interim Joint Committee on Transportation.
- Jan 5 - Introduced in House; to Transportation (H).
- Jan 22 - Posted in committee.
- Jan 26 - Reported favorably, 1st reading, to Calendar with Committee Substitute.
- Jan 27 - 2nd reading, to Rules; floor amendment (1) filed to Committee Substitute.
- Feb 2 - Posted for passage in the Regular Orders of the Day for Wednesday, February 3, 2010.
- Feb 3 - Floor amendment (2) filed to Committee Substitute.
- Feb 4 - 3rd reading, passed 80-16 with Committee Substitute, floor amendment (2).
- Feb 5 - Received in Senate.
House Committee Substitute
- Proposes to retain original provision of the bill; create a new section of KRS Chapter 189 to prohibit the use of a personal communication device for any person under the age of 18 while operating a motor vehicle; provide for exclusions; set fine for violation at $20-$100; exclude violation from the imposition of court costs; clarify that restrictions on texting and personal communication device use in sections 1 and 2 apply only to vehicles on the traveled portion of a roadway; amend KRS 186.452 and 186.454 to provide that a violation of the texting or personal communication device use prohibition shall add an additional 6 months onto the time a permit or intermediate license holder must wait before advancing to the next stage of graduated license.
- [http://www.lrc.ky.gov/record/10RS/HB43/HCS1.doc Full Version of HCS[
House Floor Amendment (1)
- Introduced by Representative Steve Riggs.
- Proposes to apply the prohibitions on texting while operating a motor vehicle and minors using personal communication devices while operating a motor vehicle only when the vehicle is in motion.
- Full Version of HFA (1)
House Floor Amendment (2)
- Introduced by Representative Jody Richards.
- Proposes to apply the prohibitions on texting while operating a motor vehicle and minors using personal communication devices while operating a motor vehicle only when the vehicle is in motion; specify that an operator of an emergency or public safety vehicle may use a personal communication device only when it is an essential function of the operator's duties.
- Full Version of HFA (2)