Mayor’s Commission on the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act
Mayor Jim Newberry established the group on Jan. 31 to set spending priorities in anticipation of receiving funds, and to use best practices to oversee the expenditure of such funds.
The Commission meets at 3 p.m. each Friday in the third floor conference room in the Phoenix Building, 101 E. Vine St. The meetings are open to the public and are televised live on G-TV Channel 3, and streamed live over the internet at www.lexingtonky.gov. You can E-mail the commission with questions or comments at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Minutes of the meetings can be found here.
- Provide recommendations to the Mayor, Council and community for how any available funds should be spent.
- Monitor the expenditure of those funds to ensure the optimum public benefit.
- Develop means by which the public can access information about the status of projects funded by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Plan.
Members of the Commission
- Mayor Jim Newberry, chair
- Vice Mayor Jim Gray
- 11th District Councilmember Peggy Henson
- 6th District Councilmember Kevin Stinnett
- 12th District Councilmember Ed Lane
- 79th District State Rep. Susan Westrom
- 88th District State Rep. Bill Farmer
- Commerce Lexington Vice President for Community and Minority Business Development Tyrone Tyra
- Urban League Administrator of Development David Cozart
- Executive Director of the Lexington-Fayette Urban County Housing Authority Austin Simms
- University of Kentucky Assistant Vice President for Community Engagement Lisa Higgins-Hord
- United Way President Kathy Plomin
- LexTran General Manager Rocky Burke
- Fayette County Public Schools Chief Operating Officer Mary Wright
- Commissioner of Health Melinda Rowe, M.D.
- Senior Adviser Joe Kelly
- Commissioner of Public Works Mike Webb
- Commissioner of Environmental Quality Cheryl Taylor
- Acting Commissioner of Finance and Administration Bill O’Mara
- Public Safety Commissioner Tim Bennett
- Social Services Commissioner Marlene Helm
- Chief Information Officer Rama Dhuwaraha